The Old Knewton Blog

September 2009 LSAT Survey

with 4 comments

Compiled by Brad McIlquham, Knewton’s Director of Curriculum.

This past Saturday, September 25th, more than 45,000 aspiring law students across the world took the LSAT. Many of these test-takers spent more than two months preparing. Before they got down to their well-earned celebrating, we asked Knewton students to fill us in on how they felt about their performance. Here’s what they said.

Overall

  • Two thirds of Knewton students felt they did as well as or better than they expected on the test.
  • Almost half of the students surveyed (46.7%) felt the Logical Reasoning section was the most challenging of the three. The rest were split evenly over whether the Analytical Reasoning or Reading Comprehension sections were the hardest (26.7% each).
  • 60% of our students felt that Logical Reasoning was their main strength going into the test, while just over a quarter felt best prepared for the Analytical Reasoning section.
  • 84.6% of students were happy with the amount of preparation they put into their LSAT studies, while the remaining 15.4% felt only adequately prepared or unsatisfied with the amount of prep they completed.

Timing

  • On the whole, most students reported feeling a little rushed to complete each section within the time limits.
  • Of the individual sections, about 65% of students were able to complete the Reading Comprehension section without having to guess on the last questions. Over 7% of students reported that timing wasn’t a significant factor at all.
  • Timing affected more students on the Logical Reasoning section. Exactly 50% of all students surveyed failed to complete the LR section in time.
  • Slightly more students were able to handle timing constraints on the Analytical Reasoning section than LR (53%).
  • Of the three sections, the games had the highest percentage of students who reported timing was a significant factor in their performance, with 23% versus 14% in RC and 7% in LR.

The Sections

  • 85% of Knewton students said they did as well as or better than expected on both the Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning sections, with 28.6% of students exceeding their expectations on RC.
  • The AR section was another story. While over half of the students (53.4%) said they did as well as or better than expected on the games section, the remaining 46.7% felt they underachieved on the section (as opposed to only 14% in both the RC and LR sections).

Conclusions

  • Our students mostly seemed positive about their performances on the LSAT. We hope they were able to tackle the test a little more confidently and proficiently because they approached their preparation seriously.

To everybody who took the test, we wish you the best of luck as you continue to chase your law school dreams, and we’re glad to help if we can.

Advertisements

Written by Knewton

September 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with , , ,

4 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. […] Visit The Knewton Blog for more. var addthis_pub = ''; var addthis_language = 'en';var addthis_options = 'email, favorites, digg, delicious, buzz, mixx, reddit, bitly, facebook, twitter, google, more'; […]

  2. […] Visit The Knewton Blog for more. var addthis_pub = ''; var addthis_language = 'en';var addthis_options = 'email, favorites, digg, delicious, buzz, mixx, reddit, bitly, facebook, twitter, google, more'; […]

  3. what is the sample size?

    Francis

    September 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM

  4. more than 1/3 of all knewton students, from New York City to Seoul, responded to the survey.

    we keep our exact number internal but it was a significant amount!

    Knewton

    September 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: